Monday, February 16, 2009

First Year Anniversary of Weight Loss

It has been a year since I reached my weight loss goal, a goal which I have been able to maintain. Colleagues and friends have asked me how I did it, and so I thought that it would be fun to post some of the things that helped me. I did it by joining Weight Watchers, and am now a lifetime member. Aside from that, here are twenty things that I do on a regular basis, and none of them are painful. Weight loss and weight maintenance amount to smaller portions, reduced-fat substitutes, and moving more. My food motto is "Don't deprive, just reduce."

1. I avoid fried foods (fried meats, french fries, onion rings). I choose grilled meats and veggies when possible. If fried foods can't be avoided, I reduce the serving size substantially. Ten french fries is a serving.
2. I eat smaller portions of sugary foods less often. I serve myself half the size goodie I would have normally eaten.
3. I serve smaller portions of side dishes at meals. I use 1/2 cup measure for starchy veggies like mashed potatoes and corn; and also for rice and pasta when it is a side dish. I always measure. The eye is bigger than the stomach, for sure.
4. I reduce the portion served of meat or protein. I ask the butcher to cut thinner steaks. I make smaller burgers.
5. I substitute ground buffalo for ground beef. This greatly reduces fat.
6. I ask for salad dressing to be served on the side so I can control how much goes on the greens.
7. When baking muffins, quick breads, and cakes, I substitute unsweetened applesauce for half the fat. If the recipe calls for 1/2 oil or butter, I use 1/4 cup of oil or butter and 1/4 applesauce.
8. I switched to non-fat milk, non-fat cream cheese, non-fat sour cream, non-fat yogurt.
9. I use butter substitute like a spray butter or smart squeeze when I make mashed potatoes or want butter flavor on something like bread.
10. I use olive oil for cooking and Pam spray for baking.
11. I avoid eating bread or rolls at dinner, or when out to eat.
12. I eat cheese less often and in smaller portions. Feta cheese is a good cheese to use because it has less fat content. In fact, goat cheeses have less fat generally.
13. I substitute low-fat recipes for traditional recipes.
14. I eat one meal a day without bread or rice or potato or pasta.
15. I substitute high fiber pasta for regular pasta.
16. I increase my daily fiber by selecting whole grains and eating Fiber One.
17. I eat three fresh fruits a day.
18. I avoid sugary beverages like soda and juices.
19. I walk more. I park the car at the far end of the lot and walk the extra yardage and take the stairs.
20. I bought a scale and weigh in every morning.

3 comments:

Michael F. Bird said...

April,
Good for you! My wife has a condition called PCOS and this has made it hard for her to lose weight. But after giving birth to a baby boy three weeks ago, she's now the lightest she's been in 8 years! She's also discovered a whole new wardrobe.

geoffhudson.blogspot.com said...

One ground buffalo for one ground cow! Takes willpower!

Anonymous said...

5 FACTOR DIET - everything you need to lose weight fast!