Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Sabbatical Blog?

Well I am finally making it to my second sabbatical in my career.  Once I turn my grades in in May, I am considering myself to officially be on sabbatical.  It is much needed, believe me, and it will be for the entire next academic year thanks to the success of a Rice Individual Faculty Fellowship generously granted to me by the Humanities Research Center at Rice University which is funding the second semester.  My project?  You guessed it.  I will be writing my book The Ancient New Age: The Triumph of Gnostic Spirituality and the Birth of Christianity.

So I was wondering whether or not to start blogging about what I am doing while on Sabbatical?  It might be interesting to log my progress.  It might help me think through the tough spots, the blind spots and the discouraging spots.  And it would be a boon to get feedback from you on some of my ideas as I am in the process of writing.

Is this something that you would be interested in following?

15 comments:

James F. McGrath said...

I'd follow your sabbatical blog, but depending on what your blogging in that period would be like, I imagine that you could do your sabbatical blogging fine just here. Either way, I'll follow it! :)

Jessica said...

Yes

Jared Calaway said...

Congrats on the Sabbatical! Much deserved! I second James's remarks.

Ally said...

Absolutely - some of my favorite blogs to read are those that focus (at least somewhat) on how that person does their research and writing, and what I find interesting is how often there's something to be learned from someone working in a completely different area of academia, so absolutely. (Though I'm kind of in agreement that I don't think you need a sabbatical blog unless you think it would work better that way)

(oh and congrats on the sabbatical - didn't mean to ignore that part!)

Br. Pax said...

Oh yes! This would be fantastic!

David said...

Definitely.

Judy said...

Yes. I'll happily follow it either here or elsewhere.

lightseeker said...

With you all the way! I will certainly follow your sabbatical blog, April. :)

Greg said...

Yes. Please.

coen wessel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
coen wessel said...

Dear April DeConick,


I would love to read your sabbatical blog.


Coen Wessel

gurugeorge said...

Absolutely would follow. Sounds like a fascinating topic, and it would be a privilege to have a peek at the mind of a scholar at work :)

rameumptom said...

If you blog it, we will definitely read it. Your writings are so often thought provoking and take us out of our comfort zone. We need that.

fatzers said...

Yes :)

joey said...

fascinating topic


Medical Business