My personal favorites
Favorite methodological study
- Rudolph Bultmann, "What is Form Criticism?" in R. Bultmann and K. Kundsin, Form Criticism: Two Essays on New Testament Research (New York: Harper Torchbooks, 1934/1962).
- The series put out by Fortress Press, "What is ...?"
- John Hayes and Carl Holladay, Biblical Exegesis: A Beginner's Handbook (Atlanta: John Knox, revised edition1987).
Favorite methods to use
- New Tradition-Historical Criticism
- Interdisciplinary methods, particularly from Anthropology, Sociology, and Psychology
- Oral-Rhetorical methods
A Favorite quote about method
- Paula Fredriksen in Jesus of Nazareth (p. 7): "Once method determines our perspective on our sources, how we see is really what we get."