Thursday, August 2, 2007

Coverage of the Mary Magdalene Feast Day

Rev. Betty Adam has posted on her blog this morning her impressions of the Mary Magdalene Festival that we celebrated at Christ's Cathedral in Houston last week. She includes a description of the service and even posts the text of my first (and only?) homily. I am not trained in ministry, so when asked to deliver a full homily, I wasn't certain how to do that or if I really wanted to do that.

So I gave some thought to the service and instead of the traditional 20-minute homily, suggested that we put together a Taizé service using Mary's story as our focus. Betty agreed.

But in the end, I didn't get out of delivering the homily - it just became shorter. If you go over to Betty's blog and have a look, I'm sure you will see that I'm no homily writer, just a plain old teacher. Thank goodness for wonderful musicians who made up for it!

The picture I'm uploading was taken after the service, (from left to right) Rev. Betty Adam of Christ's Cathedral, me, and Pam Stockton (the president of Brigid's Place).

It was a truly beautiful and inspiring Festival, so there is talk that we might might start an annual series of these in honor of women saints like Teresa of Avila, Hildegard von Bingen, Mary the Mother, and so on. Stay tuned. I'll keep you posted on these events should they be arranged by Betty and Pam at the Cathedral.

No comments: